In-person service area: Kirkland, Bellevue (north of I-90), Redmond (west of Sahalee Way and south of NE Novelty Hill Rd), north Mercer Island (north of SE 40th St), and Woodinville (east of I-405 and south of WA-522).
Remote/video consultations available world wide!
Are you concerned about or affected by coronavirus? Wiggles and Woofs is following all recommended CDC guidelines to keep clients safe. In addition, FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype consultations are available for dog training and behavior consulting. Please don’t hesitate to inquire!
Not sure if remote consulting is for you? Ask to see a free sample!
Jen Gumas, the owner of Wiggles and Woofs, is a certified professional dog trainer (CPDT-KA, CBATI) with degrees in both Zoology and Education.
Jen uses positive, ethical, science-based methods when working with dogs. She offers training for basic manners as well as behavior modification to address problem behaviors. She especially enjoys working with dogs from rescue backgrounds and helping shy, fearful, and reactive dogs. Visit the About page for more information!
Jen loves helping adopted and rescued animals! Seattle Humane and Seattle Animal Shelter alumni receive a 10% discount on services with proof of adoption.
Training may be available outside of the service area described above for an additional $10 travel fee per visit. Please feel free to inquire!
All prices listed include tax.
Private Training Sessions and Behavior Consulting
Let Wiggles and Woofs Come to You!
With private training, Jen will meet with you and your dog at your home, a park, or another suitable location.
Feeling Overwhelmed? On a Budget? Choose your Level of Involvement
At Wiggles and Woofs, owners have the ability to select how involved they would like to be in their dog’s training. Some owners feel they have all they need after an initial consultation and enjoy doing most of the training themselves.
Many owners appreciate a coaching model, learning how to train their dog with Jen’s support.
Feeling overwhelmed? Day training/walk-and-train packages (where Jen works with dogs while their humans are at work) are an option for dogs with busy owners.
Jen understands that people learn differently and have different time constraints, so you can select the training option that works best for you!
Effective Help for a Wide Variety of Canine Concerns
Some of the behavior issues that Wiggles and Woofs helps clients with include:
- Reactivity (lunging, barking, or growling) towards dogs, people, or other triggers
- Fear of the vet or groomers
- Discomfort with handling and grooming
- Overcoming fear of noises, people, places, or things
- Resource guarding
- Fear-based aggression
- Basic manners and foundation skills
- Socialization (for puppies and adults)
- Leash manners
- Recall (coming when called)
- Dog-dog introductions and interactions
- Mouthing humans or chewing on inappropriate objects
- Polite greetings towards humans
If you don’t see your concern listed, feel free to contact us anyways! Wiggles and Woofs is happy to refer you to another qualified canine professional if we are unable to help.
Training Plans that are Easy to Understand
With a background in educating both humans and dogs, Jen enjoys working with families to reach solutions that work for the dog and all the humans involved. Recognizing that all humans and dogs are individuals, Jen believes in customizing training and learning plans to meet the needs of both humans and canines, improving their relationship in the process. Jen believes that the relationship between dog owners and trainers should be one of ongoing support. If questions arise, help is an email or a phone call away.
Private Training: Initial Behavior Consultation
All new dog training clients need to schedule an initial behavior consultation to get started.
An Initial Behavior Consultation is 60-90 minutes in length and includes:
- Gathering information about your pet’s medical and behavioral history
- Discussing behavior goals (what would you like your dog to be able to do?)
- Signing a training service agreement
- Training or behavior modification with your dog
- A written behavior plan that outlines how to reach behavior goals and gives recommendations for any additional sessions needed
- Three months of support via email or phone for questions or trouble-shooting related to behavior plan
$100 for an initial training consultation and written behavior plan
Private Training: Follow-up Coaching Sessions
Private training sessions serve as a follow-up after an initial consultation for dogs and owners who want continued support as they work towards training goals. The trainer, owner, and dog are present for coaching sessions.
- $80 for a 60 minute session
- $40 for a 30 minute session
Dog Play Consultation
Do you ever wonder if your dog’s play is normal? Are you curious about what is “OK” and what is not? This consultation includes a review of your dog’s behavioral history, a 60 minute meeting consisting of a doggy play date or dog park visit, resources about dog body language and play, a summary of your dog’s play style, and suggested training recommendations (if applicable).
For dog play dates, client is responsible for booking the other dog. Dogs with a history of aggression may not be candidates for this type of consultation.
- $85 includes a 60 minute consultation plus helpful behavior resources
Looking for the perfect addition to your family? Adoption advising can help you find the perfect fit! Advising can take place at your home, at a local animal rescue organization, or via phone.
- $80 for 60 minutes of advising
Canine Crash Course: Help for New Dog Owners
If you’ve never owned a dog before, or perhaps haven’t had one in the family for a while, this 2-session package is perfect to get you started!
This crash course starts with a 60 minute home visit, puppy-proofing assistance, an equipment/shopping list, leash, clicker, treat pouch, and helpful resources geared towards your new family member.
A second 60 minute follow-up visit 3 weeks after your initial consultation will help you address any emerging behavior concerns with your new best friend. Phone/text/email support is included for 3 months.
- $200 for two visits, supplies, and helpful resources
Dog Training Packages
Introduction to BAT 2.0 Package
BAT 2.0 (Behavior Adjustment Training) is gentle, force-free training method that empowers dogs to communicate peacefully in their native “canine language” and make positive behavior choices. BAT 2.0 has many wonderful applications and can help dogs in many ways, including:
- Socializing puppies and adult dogs
- Facilitating safe on-leash greetings and walks
- Improving dog-dog social interaction skills
- Reducing frustration on leash
- Reducing fear of dogs, people, or other triggers
- Reducing reactivity towards dogs, people, or other triggers
- Reducing aggression towards dogs, people, or other triggers
- Helping dogs with “stranger danger” inside and outside the home
Jen is a certified BAT instructor (CBATI) who loves teaching volunteers and clients how to help dogs using BAT.
BAT packages include a private tutoring session with Jen to learn BAT basics (both key concepts and hands-on skills); educational BAT materials; assistance and coaching before, during, and after BAT set-ups; optional membership in Seattle’s Eastside BAT Facebook Group for continued support; and optional video analysis/video support. A free BAT leash of your choice is also included in every package.
- $320 for 4 BAT sessions plus a free BAT leash
- $240 for 3 BAT sessions plus a free BAT leash
Are you feeling overwhelmed about your dog’s behavior? Do you want to change your dog’s behavior, but you are not sure how you will find the time to do it? A day training or walk-and-train package may be ideal for you!
Day training packages involve Jen working directly with your dog 2-3 times per week (owners do not have to be present). Brief progress reports are included with each visit. Owners participate in one “transfer session” per week with Jen to learn how to continue working with their dog.
One follow-up session 2 weeks after the conclusion of the scheduled sessions is included.
Day training does not work for all dog behavior concerns. Jen can help you determine whether day training may be a good option for you and your dog at your initial behavior consultation.
- $960 for 4 weeks of training; 3 visits a week
- $760 for 4 weeks of training; 2 visits a week
- Packages can be customized; feel free to inquire
Puppy/Shy Dog Socialization Outings
Puppies and/or some adult dogs benefit from positive socialization experiences to help them be less fearful of people, places, noises, and things. These 60 minute visits to dog-friendly parks, cafes, pet supply stores, outdoor malls, etc. help your pup grow their confidence and include a progress report with every outing.
- $600 for a package of 10 trips
- $360 for a package of 6 trips
Courteous Canine Curriculum Package
This package is ideal to get puppies or new dogs off to a great start with foundation skills and basic manners. It’s also an ideal program for busy dog owners who would like their dog to learn foundation skills, but do not have the availability to attend a basic manners class.
This 6-8 week program includes scheduled trainer visits 3 times a week. Primarily a day training/walk-and-train format (training that does not require the owner to be present), the Courteous Canine Curriculum package can be customized depending on the needs of your puppy or adult dog. The curriculum typically includes:
- Watch owner with name (attention)
- Leave it
- Drop it
- Touch/hand targeting
- Loose leash walking
- Polite greetings
This package includes weekly “transfer sessions” with Jen so that owners know how to continue their dog’s positive progress. One follow-up session two weeks after your dog graduates from the regularly scheduled sessions is included. Three additional months of text/phone/email support are included after graduation.
Owners who select the Puppy Plus Package get the learning objectives above, plus two additional weeks of positive socialization and training, basic conditioning to grooming and handling, plus one hour of consulting about common puppy behavior challenges.
- $1475 for 6 week Basic CCC package
- $1940 for 8 week CCC Puppy Plus package
Jen teaches group classes that are open to the public at Seattle Humane in Bellevue, WA. Current class offerings include:
- Dog Manners 1: Basic Manners class for pups 5 months and up.
- Shy and Fearful Dog Manners: This class is for dogs who are sensitive and fearful of people, dogs, places, or things. It combines learning some manners with learning about how to help your dog become less fearful and grow their confidence!
- Reactive Rover: This class is for dogs who lunge, bark, growl, etc. on leash when they see other dogs. This class is designed to help both dogs that are reactive because they are afraid of other dogs AND dogs who like other dogs, but tend to make a big fuss when seeing them on leash!
- New Seminar: Dogs at Play! Dogs at Play is a fascinating look into canine behavior, greetings, play, and dog park safety and etiquette. If you’ve ever had questions about your dog’s greetings, interactions, play with other dogs, or simply wonder what your dog is really trying to tell you, this class is for you! This 90-minute presentation is full of pictures, videos, and helpful information for all dog owners, whether you are new to dog ownership or a veteran. Feel free to bring the whole family; time for Q&A is included. Please leave your dog at home for this presentation; this is a human-only class. Sign up here.
All classes utilize positive reinforcement training. Please see Seattle Humane’s Training and Workshops page for class descriptions, class schedules, pricing, and registration.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
Do you have a dog-friendly business with employees who want to learn more about canine behavior and greetings? Are you a school or organization that has students who are interested in dog training or pet care as a career? Do you manage a doggy daycare and want to make sure that your staff is up to speed on best practices in understanding and managing dog play?
Jen is available for presentations at public and private events and businesses. Jen has over a decade of experience in curriculum design, and she loves using her skills to custom-tailor presentations to the needs of the audience in terms of length, format, and content.
- Pricing follows an $80/hour model for curriculum design and presentation time. Please feel free to contact Jen for more information about customizing a presentation for your group!